In the News
Walmart worked out fine for neighborhood
Regarding the controversy on the Walmart store going into the Ringling shopping center, I feel compelled to give you my own experience on having a Walmart in a residential neighborhood.
For almost three years the neighbors in the Center Gate and Casa del Sol developments, around Cattlemen and Wilkinson Road, fought to keep the store from being built. Finally, though, it was OK’d and today is a welcome addition to our neighborhood. It did not reduce our property values at all. It did not detract from the appearance of our community. Walmart took extraordinary steps to enhance the landscaping and keep its big trucks from creating a nuisance problem. It did not keep any small businesses from coming to our area. If anything, it helped promote new businesses.
In closing, I can only verify that Walmart turned out to be an asset to the neighborhood — not a detriment.
Letter to the Editor, Herald Tribune
- Walmart Supercenter Nixed by Sarasota Commission
- Walmart Attorney Destroys Kirschner/Tufts/Taylor Team but Emotions Prevail
- Sarasota, FL Walmart Decision Eagerly Awaited by Residents and Business Owners
- Walmart Shifts into Sarasota Neighborhoods, A National Strategy
- Long Meeting and No Decision Yet on Walmart
- Waiting for Walmart – Herald Tribune
- Construction: Walmart construction is an open competitive bid process for all qualified general contractors. General Contractors are encouraged to use local subcontractors.
- Construction accounts for approximately 400 jobs.
- This proposed location will employ 250 associates.
- Opportunities include positions in: in-store management, pharmacy, human resources, customer service, cashiers, and sales associates among others.
- As of October 31, 2012, the average wage for regular, full-time hourly associates in Florida is $12.72 per hour. Additionally, associates are eligible for performance-based bonuses.
- Walmart will open a hiring center within the Sarasota community, providing access to job opportunities for local residents.
- Hiring Centers open approximately 90-120 days prior to possession of the property.
- We provide on the job training
- Other business and service providers are encouraged in to become part of Walmart’s supplier diversity program. Our Supplier Diversity program helps in fostering the inclusion of minority and women-owned businesses in our network of suppliers.
Helping Sarasota Live Better
- Walmart paid $175,000 in Sarasota County property taxes in 2012
- Walmart paid $1.4 million in real estate taxes in Sarasota county
- In 2012, your community Walmart stores contributed over $2.1 million to local not for profit organizations